Angels on Horseback
(English bacon-wrapped oysters appetizer)
Makes 12 appetizers
- Oysters, shucked -- 12
- Bacon, halved crosswise -- 6 slices
- Preheat oven to broil, and soak 12 toothpicks in a bowl of hot water for about 15 minutes. Wrap each oyster in a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Set the oysters on a baking sheet and place under the broiler. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 6 or 7 minutes, or until the bacon is browned and the edges are beginning to curl.
- Serve as is on a platter, or remove the toothpicks and serve warm on buttered toast points or in oyster shells.
Angels on Horseback Variations
- Devils on Horseback: Use prunes instead of oysters. Stuff the prunes with toasted almonds, blue cheese or some chutney.
- Other popular stuffings include scallops, shrimp, dates and chicken livers.
- You can marinate the oysters in some lemon juice and minced garlic first if you like.
- Substitute prosciutto or pancetta for the bacon.
- Thread the oysters on skewers and grill them instead.