(Middle Eastern eggplant dip)
Image by Stu Spivack
Serves 4 to 6 as an appetizer
- Eggplant, Italian -- 3
- Garlic, minced -- 2-3 cloves
- Lemon, juice only -- 1
- Tahini (sesame paste) -- 2 tablespoons
- Salt -- 1 teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the eggplant on a baking pan and roast in the oven until cooked through, about 45-60 minutes. The eggplant should collapse when it is removed from the oven and begins to cool.
- Cut the eggplant in half and remove the pulp. Place the pulp, garlic, lemon juice, tahini and salt in a food processor or blender and and process until smooth.
- Remove to a serving bowl, adjust seasoning and drizzle olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- Patlican Salatasi (Turkey): Eliminate the tahini. You can also stir 1/4 to 1/2 cup yogurt into the baba ghanoush to lighten it up a bit. Garnish with paprika.
- Other names and spellings are baba ghanouj, babaganuş, and mutabal.