Hummus bi Tahina
(Middle Eastern chickpea and sesame dip)
Image © iStockphoto
4 to 6 servings
- Chickpeas, cooked and drained -- 2 cups
- Tahini (sesame paste) -- 1/4 to 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice -- 1/4 cup
- Garlic, crushed -- 2 to 4 cloves
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Water -- as needed
- Olive oil -- 1/4 cup
- Parsley minced -- 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Place the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt into a food processor or blender and process until very smooth. Add water as needed to achieve a soft, spreadable consistency. Adjust seasoning with lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Mound the hummus in a serving bowl and drizzle the olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- In Egypt 1 or 2 teaspoons of ground cumin are usually added.
- Sprinkle with paprika for added color.