Hummus bi Tahina
(Middle Eastern chickpea and sesame dip)
Image © iStockphoto
4 to 6 servings
- Chickpeas, cooked and drained -- 2 cups
- Tahini (sesame paste) -- 1/4 to 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice -- 1/4 cup
- Garlic, crushed -- 2 to 4 cloves
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Water -- as needed
- Olive oil -- 1/4 cup
- Parsley minced -- 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Place the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt into a food processor or blender and process until very smooth. Add water as needed to achieve a soft, spreadable consistency. Adjust seasoning with lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Mound the hummus in a serving bowl and drizzle the olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- For extra smooth hummus, make sure to remove the thin outer skin coating the chickpeas before pureeing. It should come off easily if you rub the chickpeas gently between your hands.
- In Egypt 1 or 2 teaspoons of ground cumin are usually added.
- Sprinkle with paprika for added color.