(German beer cheese spread)
Image by Wikipedia.de
Makes about 2 cups
- Camembert, cut into pieces -- 16 ounces
- Butter, softened -- 3 tablespoons
- Red onion, minced -- 1
- German ale (optional) -- 1/4 to 1/3 cup
- Paprika -- 2 teaspoons
- Ground caraway -- 1 teaspoon
- White pepper -- 1 teaspoon
- Place all of the ingredients together in a large bowl and mash together with a large fork or potato masher until smooth and fluffy. Alternatively, you can pulse all of the ingredients in a food processor. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Place the cheese spread in a bowl. Garnish with more minced red onion, chopped chives or sliced radishes if you like. Spread on slices of Bauernbrot or serve with soft pretzels.
- Obatzter should be eaten the same day it is made or the onions can turn it bitter. If you want to make up a batch a day or two ahead of time, stir in the onions just before serving. Or lightly saute the onions before stirring them into the cheese to cut the bitter flavor and make the onions sweeter and milder.
- Angemachter Käse (Federal State of Franken): Substitute a nice white wine for the beer.
- Try substituting Brie, Limburger or other soft cheeses for the Camembert. Many recipes call for using Philadelphia-style cream cheese in place of the butter.
- Add a couple minced cloves of garlic for an even heartier flavor.