(Italian marinated olive appetizer)
Makes about 4 cups
- Cracked green olives -- 2 cups
- Black olives -- 2 cups
- Olive oil -- 1/2 cup
- Red wine vinegar -- 1/4 cup
- Garlic, minced -- 2 tablespoons
- Herbs and seasonings (see variations)
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Chill in the refrigerator for a few hours to let the flavors mingle.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature as an appetizer or accompaniment to cocktails.
- French (Olives marinées): use black niçoise olives, thyme and a little lavender.
- Greek: use black Kalamata olives and dried oregano and thyme.
- Italian (Olive marinata): use chopped rosemary, thyme and peppercorns.
- North African (Mslalla): use oil-cured black olives and substitute lemon juice for the red wine vinegar. Stir in cumin seeds, coriander seeds, lemon and orange zest and crushed red pepper.
- Spanish (Aceitunas aliñadas): use paprika, cumin seeds and peppercorns.
- If you like, you can use all green or all black olives.
- Here is a list of the most popular herbs and seasonings mixed with marinated olives. Mix and match to suit your own taste.
- Bay leaves
- Cardamom seed
- Cracked black pepper
- Crushed red pepper
- Cumin seed
- Fennel seed
- Lemon, lime or orange zest
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Do not used canned olives for this recipe! (Unless you have no shame.)
- Marinated olives will stay fresh for 1-2 months if stored in the refrigerator.