(Mexican melted cheese appetizer)
Serve this south-of-the-border version of cheese fondue as a starter to any Mexican meal. Your guests will be singing your praises. ¡Que rico!
4 to 6 servings
- Monterey Jack cheese, shredded -- 2 cups
- Roasted red pepper, cut into strips -- 1
- Mushrooms, sliced thinly -- 1 cup
- Butter -- 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Corn or flour tortillas, warmed, or tortilla chips -- for serving.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread the grated cheese evenly over the bottom of a ceramic ovenproof dish, or cazuela. Spread the roasted red pepper evenly over the top of the cheese.
- Heat the butter in a skillet or saute pan over medium flame. Add the mushrooms and saute until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper and spread evenly over the top of the cheese.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake until the cheese is fully melted, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with the tortillas or tortilla chips for scooping.
Queso Fundido Variations
- Mozzarella or any Mexican melting cheese, such as asadero or Chihuahua, can be used instead of Monterey Jack.
- Experiment with different toppings: chopped scallions, crumbled queso fresco, cooked chorizo, chopped serrano chilies.