(Mexican fresh fruit beverage)
Makes about 2 1/2 quarts
- Fresh fruit (see notes), chopped coarsely -- 3 cups
- Water -- 6 to 8 cups
- Sugar -- 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Lime juice (optional) -- 1/4 cup
- Add the fruit and 2 to 3 cups of the water to a blender and puree until smooth. Strain through a sieve into a large pitcher.
- Add the rest of water, 1/2 cup of sugar and lime juice if using. Stir well and add more water and sugar as needed. Serve well chilled.
Agua Fresca Variations
- Agua de Fresa: Use strawberries.
- Agua de Jamaica: see Sorrel Punch recipe.
- Agua de Melón: Use cantaloupe or any other melon.
- Agua de Papaya: Use papaya. The addition of lime juice makes a tastier beverage here.
- Agua de Sandía: Use watermelon.
- Agua Fresca de Pepino: Use peeled, seeded cucumbers and lime juice. Cut down on the sugar. Very refreshing.
- The lime juice is not required, but can add a welcome tartness to some aguas frescas.