(Indian spiced tea)
Makes about 6 cups
- Water -- 6 cups
- Milk -- 1 cup
- Brown sugar or jaggery -- 1/4 cup
- Cinnamon stick -- 1
- Cardamom pods -- 6
- Cloves -- 6
- Fresh ginger, chopped -- 2 teaspoons
- Loose black tea -- 2 tablespoons
- Add the water, milk, brown sugar or jaggery, spices and ginger to a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover tightly and remove from heat. Set aside to for 10 minutes to infuse the spices.
- Add the tea and bring back to a boil. Cover tightly again, remove from heat and steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain and serve immediately.
Masala Chai Variations
- Kashmiri Chai: For the spices, use cinnamon, cardamom, 2 tablespoons of ground almonds or pistachios and a pinch of saffron. Substitute green tea for the black tea.
- Try other spices and flavorings: star anise, fennel seeds, ground ginger, bay leaves, peppercorns, nutmeg, orange peel, a squeeze of orange or lemon juice, or a pinch of saffron.