(Ecuadoran oatmeal beverage)
Makes 4 to 5 portions
- Pineapple, peeled and sliced into rounds -- 1
- Old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant) -- 1 cup
- Sugar -- 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon sticks (optional) -- 2
- Water -- 5 cups
- Add all the ingredients to a large pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the pineapple and cinnamon sticks and pour the remaining liquid through a strainer, pressing down on the solids to extract all the liquid. Discard the solids and serve hot or cold.
- Instead of passing the cuáker through a strainer, you can puree it in a blender if you prefer.
- Leave the pineapple unpeeled to give your cuaker even more flavor.
- Add a little pineapple juice after simmering if you would like your cuáker a little thinner.