(Spanish fruited wine)
4 to 5 servings
- Red wine -- 2 (750-ml) bottles
- Sugar -- 1/3 cup
- Oranges, sliced in rounds -- 3
- Peaches, peeled and sliced into wedges -- 4 to 6
- Lemon, zest only -- 1
- Cinnamon sticks -- 2
- Pour wine into a large pitcher or earthenware bowl. Stir in the sugar until dissolved. Lightly some juice out of the orange slices into the wine. Then add the orange rounds to the wine, along with the peaches, lemon zest and cinnamon sticks. Adjust sugar to taste.
- Chill well before serving, preferably for several hours to allow the flavors to meld.
- Sangría Blanca (White sangria): Use a white wine. Try a Spanish albariño or a chardonnay, pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc.
- Vary the fruit, using what is in season: apples, cherries, kiwis, bananas, etc.
- Serve with ice cubes for a lighter sangría, or add some cognac or brandy for a headier version.
- Add half a bottle of club soda or sparkling water for sangría with a little fizz.