(Ethiopian flaxseed beverage)
4 to 6 servings
- Flaxseed -- 1 cup
- Water -- 6 cups
- Honey -- 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over low heat. Add the flaxseed and dry roast it in the skillet, stirring, for about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Place the toasted flaxseed in a spice grinder and grind to a powder. Sift through a medium-mesh sieve into a bowl.
- Add the water to the flaxseed, stir and let set for about 10-20 minutes to allow solids to settle out.
- Strain into a pitcher, add honey and chill before serving.
- Telba Firfit: Mix telba with broken up pieces of injera bread and heat. Serve as a sidedish.
- Toasted, unhulled barley and sunflower seeds are sometimes added to telba for additional flavor.