2009 Summer Food Festivals
With travel season starting, I thought it would be a good time to check out the food festivals and events taking place around the country this summer. Here's a list of some of the more interesting happenings. Some are big, some are small. But I'm sure there's fun to be had at all.
So if you're planning to hit the road any time in the next few months, keep a print-out of this list of culinary festivals and make sure to hit the food action. And anyone who knows of a good event I didn't list here, leave a comment with info below. I just might add it to the list.
- Great Chowder Cook-Off, Newport, Rhode Island, June 6.
- OPA! Big Fat Greek Festival, Flemington, New Jersey, June 20-21.
- Nathan's International Hot Dog Eating Contest, Coney Island, New York, July 4.
- Yarmouth Clam Festival, Yarmouth, Maine, July 17-19.
- Maine Lobster Festival, Rockland, Maine, July 29-August 2.
- Fisherman's Feast, Boston, Massachussetts, August 13-16.
- Saint Joseph Italian Festival, Richmond Virginia, June 13-14.
- Tennessee Heritage BBQ Festival, Smyrna, Tennessee, June 14-15.
- Lousiana Watermelon Festival, Farmerville, Louisiana, July 23-25.
- Beer, Bourbon and Barbecue Festival, Cary, North Carolina, August 15.
Midwest & Mountain
- Taste of Omaha, Omaha, Nebraska, June 5-7.
- Great Wisconsin Cheese Festival, Little Chute Wisconsin, June 5-7.
- Food and Wine Classic, Aspen, Colorado, June 19-21.
- Taste of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, June 26-July 5.
- National Cherry Festival, Traverse, Michigan, July 4-11.
- Taste of Tacoma, Tacoma, Washington, June 26-28, 2009.
- Los Altos Arts and Wine Festival, Los Altos, California, July 11-12.
- Bite of Seattle, Seattle, Washington, July 17-19.
- SF Chefs, Food, Wine, San Francisco, California, August 6-9.