Buñuelos de Queso
(Puerto Rican cheese fritters)
4 to 6 servings
- Eggs -- 2
- Milk -- 1 cup
- Sugar -- 2 tablespoons
- Flour -- 2 cups
- Baking powder -- 2 teaspoon
- Salt -- 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Cheese, shredded or grated -- 1 cup
- Oil for deep frying
- Beat the eggs, milk and sugar together in a large bowl. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into another bowl.
- Mix the flour into the egg mixture just enough to moisten all the ingredients and bring the batter together. Do not overmix. Fold in the cheese.
- Heat the oil for deep frying until shimmering, or to about 365°F. Drop rounded spoonsful of the batter into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on all sides. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and repeat with the rest of the batter. Serve hot.
- Good cheeses to use for buñuelos are shredded cheddar, Swiss, Jack or grated Parmesan.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped ham to the batter if you like.
- Add 2 teaspoons of dried oregano or paprika to the sifted flour if you like.
- A small ice-cream scoop is perfect for dropping batter into the oil.