(Mexican ranch-style eggs)
Good accompaniments for this dish include frijoles de la olla or fried potatoes with chorizo.
- Oil -- 2 tablespoons
- Onion, minced -- 1/4
- Garlic, minced -- 1 or 2 cloves
- Serrano or arbol chile peppers, minced -- 1 or 2
- Tomatoes, chopped -- 1 cup
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Eggs -- 4
- Corn tortillas -- 4 each
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onions and chiles until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 1 or 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, reduce heat to low and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, heat the tortillas in a dry hot skillet until soft. Lay on a warm plate and set aside. Fry two eggs to your liking in the same skillet and place one on each of the tortillas. Top with some of the simmering sauce and serve.
Huevos Rancheros Variations
- Possible garnishes: Shredded jack cheese or crumbled queso fresco; diced avocados; sour cream; chopped cilantro.
- The eggs can be scrambled or poached instead of fried.
- Add a little ground cumin to the sautéing onions for a more flavorful sauce. Or use a little chipotle pepper instead of the serrano or arbol peppers. Or use a canned salsa to save time.