(Jewish-Israeli fried flatbread and eggs)
3 to 4 servings
- Matzo -- 4 pieces
- Eggs, beaten -- 4
- Salt -- pinch
- Oil or butter -- 2 tablespoons
- Hold matzot under running water for 5-10 seconds and then set aside to soften for 1-2 minutes.
- Beat the eggs and salt together in a large bowl. Break matzot into small pieces and stir into the eggs.
- Heat the oil or butter in a skillet over medium flame. Add the matzo mixture and brown on one side. Flip and brown on the other side. Serve with any of the garnishes suggested below.
- Add a bit of cinnamon and sugar to the beaten eggs and serve with honey, applesauce or jelly.
- For a savory version, add 1/4 cup grated onion and some pepper to the beaten eggs. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
- Experiment with different additions. Add raisins to sweet matzo brei, or add cooked asparagus tips or chopped scallions to the savory version. Use your imagination.