(Swiss oats and fruit breakfast)
About 2 servings
- Rolled oats (not quick or instant) -- 2 cups
- Milk, fruit juice or water -- 2 cups
- Apples, diced -- 2
- Walnuts -- 1/2 cup
- Honey -- to taste
- Cream or yogurt (optional) -- 1/2 cup
- Mix the oats together with the milk, juice or water in a bowl. Cover, refrigerate and let soak overnight or for at least an hour.
- Stir in the apples, walnuts and honey to taste. Top with the cream or yogurt and serve cold.
- Serving Muesli Hot: muesli is also good served as a hot cereal. Eliminate the soaking step. Add the milk, fruit juice or water to a saucepan with another 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and stir in the oats. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients and serve.
Muesli can be made with a wide variety of ingredients. Here are some suggestions for changing up your muesli:
- Grains: use rye flakes, wheat flakes, barley flakes, wheatgerm, flaxseed or flaxseed meal. Try a mixture of different grains.
- Liquid: try soy, rice or almond milk if you like.
- Fruit: use whatever is in season. In the winter, try raisins, coconut flakes or other dried fruit.
- Nuts: almonds, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds.
- Sweetener: avoid plain white sugar, but you could use brown sugar. Another healthy option to sweeten is agave nectar.