Reply to comment
(Italian asparagus gratin)
4 to 6 servings
- Asparagus, trimmed -- 2 pounds
- Butter, cut into pieces -- 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Parmesan cheese, grated -- 1/2 to 2/3 cup
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Butter a shallow gratin or baking dish that is just large enough to hold the asparagus. Place a layer of asparagus in the dish, with the tips all facing the same direction. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and some of the cheese. Keep adding layers until all asparagus and all cheese is used, finishing with the cheese.
- Dot the top of the dish with the pieces of butter and place the dish on the top rack of the oven. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the asparagus is cooked through and beginning to brown and the cheese is melted.
Asparagi alla Parmigiana Variations
- Instead of the butter use olive oil or half butter and half olive oil.
- Use half Parmesan and half shredded fontina cheese for a creamier gratin.
- Layer a couple of slices of prosciutto in with the asparagus if you like.
- Sprinkle with a little lemon zest for added zing.