(Australian, New Zealand oatmeal and coconut cookies)
Image by amandabhslater
These days ANZAC biscuits are enjoyed on ANZAC Day (April 25) to remember the sacrifices of the men in WWI. They also make a great food for hikers and campers.
Makes about 2 dozen
- Rolled oats -- 1 cup
- Flour -- 1 cup
- Shredded coconut -- 1 cup
- Sugar -- 1 cup
- Butter -- 8 tablespoons
- Golden syrup or corn syrup -- 2 tablespoons
- Water -- 2 tablespoons
- Baking soda -- 1 teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Add the oats, flour, coconut and sugar to a large bowl and mix together.
- Add the butter, golden or corn syrup and water to small saucepan. Set over a low flame and heat until the butter is completely melted, whisking all the ingredients together. Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda.
- Pour the butter mixture into the dry ingredients and use a spatula or fork to mix the ingredients together.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of the batter onto a greased baking pan, leaving room for them spread out a bit. Bake for anywhere from 12 to 18 minutes. The shorter time will yield chewy biscuits. Baked for the longer time, the biscuits become more crispy.