(French cherry flan)
3 to 4 servings
- Flour -- 1/2 cup
- Sugar -- 1/2 to 2/3 cup
- Salt -- pinch
- Milk -- 1 1/4 cup
- Eggs -- 3
- Vanilla -- 2 teaspoons
- Cherries, pitted -- 3 cups
- Powdered sugar -- 1/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the flour, sugar, salt, milk, eggs and vanilla in a blender and puree until smooth. Set aside to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Butter the bottom of a deep pie dish or a 2-quart baking dish that is at least 1 1/2 inches deep. Spread the cherries evenly over the bottom of the dish and pour the batter over the top.
- Place on the middle rack of the oven and bake for for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the top is browned and a knife inserted into middle of dish comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle powdered sugar through a sieve over the top of clafouti and serve immediately.
- Other Fruit: Substitute other seasonal fruit — pears, apples, berries, plums — for the cherries if you like. With very juicy fruit increase the amount of flour in the recipe to 3/4 cup.
- Add a couple tablespoons of kirschwasser or cognac or 1 teaspoon of almond extract to the batter if you like.