(Caribbean papaya-filled tart)
6 to 8 servings
- Unbaked single pie crust -- 1
- Papaya -- about 1 1/2 pounds
- Eggs, beaten -- 2
- Sugar -- 1/2 cup
- Cornstarch -- 1/4 cup
- Cinnamon -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Allspice -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Nutmeg -- 1/4 teaspoon
- Limes -- 2
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Peel the papaya. Scoop out and discard the black seeds. Cut the flesh into small chunks. You should have about 3 cups of papaya.
- Add the papaya and the remaining ingredients except for the lime to a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Zest and then juice the limes. Stir the juice and zest into the papaya.
- Pour the papaya mixture into the unbaked pie shell. Set the pie on a baking tray and set the tray in the oven. Bake for another 35 to 45 minutes, or until the filling is set in the center and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Loosely cover the crust with aluminum foil halfway through baking to keep it from burning.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes. Serve warm or chilled. Refrigerate leftovers.