Peach Ice Cream
(American Southern frozen fruit and dairy dessert)
Makes 1 gallon
- Peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped -- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds (about 5 to 6 cups)
- Cream or half-and-half -- 4 cups
- Whole milk -- 3 cups
- Sugar -- 2 cups
- Vanilla -- 1 tablespoon
- Salt -- 1 teaspoon
- Puree half the peaches in a blender. Mash the rest with a potato masher or the back of a spoon.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients together to dissolve the sugar, then stir in the peaches. Chill well.
- Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions.
Peach Ice Cream Variations
- To Peel the Peaches: Drop the peaches in a big pot of boiling water for about 1 minute. Then drain and rinse them with cool water to stop the cooking. The peel should slip right off.
- For Even Richer Ice Cream: Beat 6 eggs together with the cream or half and half, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth. Heat in a double boiler, whisking gently until the mixture thickens. Strain through a sieve. Stir in the peaches and chill thoroughly. Process in the ice cream maker.
- Add more or less sugar according to your taste.