(Indonesian batter-fried bananas)
4 to 6 servings
- Flour -- 1/2 cup
- Rice flour -- 1/4 cup
- Baking powder -- 1 teaspoons
- Salt -- 1/4 teaspoon
- Water -- 1 cup
- Egg, beaten -- 1
- Oil for deep frying
- Ripe bananas,peeled and cut in two pieces -- 6
- Mix the flour, rice flour, baking powder and salt well in a bowl. Beat the water and egg into the flour mixture until batter is smooth. Set batter aside to rest for anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour.
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet or deep fryer to between 350°F and 375°F. Working in batches, using a fork to dip pieces of banana in batter to cover. Let any excess batter drip off and drop in the hot oil to deep fry, turning until well browned on all sides.
- Drain on paper towels and serve warm.
Pisang Goreng Variations
- Use 1/2 cup coconut milk and 1/2 cup water in the batter for a more tropical flavor if you like.
- You can eliminate the rice flour if you like and use 3/4 cups all-purpose flour instead. But the rice flour adds a crispness that will be missing.