(German rhubarb compote)
Serve this tangy-sweet compote on its own or drizzled over a scoop of strawberry or vanilla ice cream.
4 to 6 servings
- Rhubarb -- 2 pounds, or 4 or 5 cups
- Water -- 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar -- 3/4 cup
- Lemon juice -- 2 tablespoons
- Cut the rhubarb into small chunks. Add to a medium-sized, nonreactive saucepan, along with the water and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until the rhubarb is softened and falling apart.
- Stir in the lemon juice and serve on its own or over ice cream.
- Adjust the amount of sugar to fit your personal sweet tooth.
- Add a stick of cinnamon and 5 or 6 whole cloves to the simmering compott to give it added richness of flavor.
- Rhubarb compote also makes a great topping for sweet crepes, pancakes and waffles.