(Jamaican baked fish and eggs)
4 to 6 servings
- Firm white fish filets -- 1 pound
- Eggs, beaten -- 2 or 3
- Coconut milk -- 1/2 cup
- Lime juice -- 1 tablespoon
- Pickapeppa or other bottled hot sauce -- 2 teaspoons
- Worcestershire sauce -- 1 teaspoon
- Garlic, minced -- 2 or 3 cloves
- Thyme -- 1 teaspoon
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Breadcrumbs -- 1 cup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Poach the fish in a little salted water until just cooked through. Remove, set aside to cool, and then flake into small chunks.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, coconut milk, lime juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper until smooth. Stir in the flaked fish and breadcrumbs and pour into a greased cake pan or oven-proof skillet.
- Place in the oven, and bake for 35 to 45 minutes until set and browned on top.
Fish Pie Variations
- With a Mashed Potato Topping: Use leftover mashed potatoes or make them fresh for the dish. Let the fish filling cool, then top the filling with the mashed potatoes and spread them out evenly. Make decorative impressions in the potatoes with the tines of a fork, if you like. Bake according to the direction above until the filling is cooked through and the potatoes are lightly browned.
- Any firm white fish works well in this dish. Snapper is a good choice. Add some chopped, poached shrimp if you like.
- Add a cup of fresh peas, some minced onion, 1 tablespoon of capers or a big pinch of allspice if you like.