(Italian lemon-marinated shrimp)
Image © iStockphoto
4 to 6 servings as an antipasto
- Water -- 2 quarts
- White wine vinegar -- 1/4 cup
- Salt -- 1 tablespoon
- Shrimp, shell-on -- 1 1/2 pounds
- Olive oil -- 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice -- 1/4 cup
- Pepper, fresh cracked -- to taste
- Add the water, vinegar and salt to a large pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and add the shrimp. Poach until just cooked through, 3-8 minutes depending on their size. Do not allow to boil. Drain and cool.
- Peel the shrimp and add to a large bowl with the olive oil, lemon juice and cracked black pepper. Toss and allow to marinate at room temperature for at least 1/2 hour. Serve as part of a first course or as an antipasto.
Gambaretti all'Agro Variations
- Add other flavoring ingredients to the poaching liquid for more flavor: a stalk of celery; a carrot cut into rounds; a few rings of onion; 1 or 2 cloves of garlic; 1 or 2 sprigs of parsley; a bay leaf; a sprig of lovage; 6 to 8 peppercorns. Let the poaching liquid simmer for 15 to 20 minutes to allow the flavors to blend before poaching the shrimp.
- Instead of vinegar, use lemon juice in the poaching liquid if you like.
- The shrimp can be peeled and deveined before poaching if you prefer.