Poisson Cru, or E'ia Ota
(Tahitian lime-marinated tuna)
4 to 6 servings
- Highest-quality ahi tuna, cut into 1/2-inch cubes -- 1 1/2 pounds
- Lime juice -- 1/2 cup
- Coconut milk -- 1/4 cup
- Cucumber, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes -- 1 small
- Tomato, seeded and diced -- 1
- Scallions, chopped -- 3 or 4
- Kosher or sea salt -- big pinch
- Fresh ground pepper -- pinch
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large, non-reactive bowl and set aside to marinate for 10 or20 minutes.
- Drain excess liquid and adjust seasoning. Garnish with some freshly chopped scallions and serve in a decorate bowl or large clam shell.
- Make sure to use very fresh, high-quality fish for this dish. Such fish is often marked "sushi grade" in the market. Use other fish — halibut, snapper, swordfish — if you like.
- Other possible additions: cubed red peppers, grated carrots, diced red onion, minced garlic.
- Sometimes a pinch of sugar is added to take the edge off the acidity.