Arroz a la Mexicana
(Mexican rice with tomatoes)
4 to 6 servings
- Oil -- 2 or 3 tablespoons
- Long or medium-grain rice -- 1 cup
- Onion, minced -- 1
- Garlic, minced -- 2 to 3 cloves
- Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped -- 1 cup
- Stock or water -- 1 1/2 cups
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium flame. Add the rice, onion and garlic and sauté, stirring until the onion is translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock or water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let set 10 more minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Arroz a la Mexicana Variations
- Substitute canned, diced tomatoes or tomato sauce for the fresh tomatoes if you like.
- Add some peas, diced carrots, chopped cilantro or chiles with the tomatoes and stock or water if you like.