Arroz con Gandules
(Puerto Rican rice and pigeon peas)
Infused with the flavor of sofrito and sazón, a well-cooked pot will form a much desired crust on bottom called the pegao.
4 to 6 servings
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high flame. Add the sofrito and sazón and saute for 3 or 4 minutes, or until cooked down.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and cook, stirring, for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for another 5 to 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve immediately.
Arroz con Gandules Variations
- Add some chopped ham to the sofrito.
- Most recipes call for medium-grain, or Valencia-style, rice. But you can use long or short-grain rice too.