(South African yellow rice with raisins)
Geelrys is one of many South African dishes with roots in the Dutch East Indies. This sunny yellow side dish is the traditional accompaniment to bobotie.
4 to 6 servings
- Water or stock -- 4 cups
- Long-grain rice -- 2 1/2 cups
- Turmeric -- 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon stick -- 1
- Ground cinnamon -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar -- 1 or 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Raisins -- 1/2 cup
- Add the water or stock to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the remaining ingredients and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside, covered, for another 5 to 10 minutes. Discard cinnamon stick, fluff with a fork and serve hot.
- Golden raisins (sultanas) work very well with this dish.
- Use brown sugar if you like.
- Stir 1 or 2 tablespoons of butter into the cooked rice at the end.