(South African yellow rice with raisins)
4 to 6 servings
- Water or stock -- 4 cups
- Long-grain rice -- 2 1/2 cups
- Turmeric -- 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon stick -- 1
- Ground cinnamon -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar -- 1-2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Raisins -- 1/2 cup
- Add the water or stock to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the remaining ingredients and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside, covered, for another 5-10 minutes. Discard cinnamon stick, fluff with a fork and serve hot.
- Golden raisins (sultanas) work very with this dish.
- Use brown sugar if you like.
- Stir 1-2 tablespoons of butter into the cooked rice at the end.