(Japanese chicken and egg rice bowl)
Image by kina3
- Dashi or chicken stock -- 1 cup
- Soy sauce -- 1/4 cup
- Mirin (see variations) -- 3 tablespoons
- Chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, cut into strips -- 1/2 pound
- Scallions, chopped -- 1 bunch
- Eggs, lightly beaten -- 4
- Hot cooked rice -- 4 to 6 cups
- Nori seaweed, toasted and cut into strips (optional) -- 1 sheet
- Add the dashi stock, soy sauce and mirin to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 1 minute.
- Add the scallions and simmer for another minute.
- Pour in the eggs without stirring. Cover, remove from heat and let set for 1 to 2 minutes to cook the eggs.
- Put a scoop of hot cooked rice into each of four deep bowls (don). Ladle some of the chicken, eggs and sauce over the rice in each bowl . Sprinkle with the nori and serve hot.
Oyako Don Variations
- Tanindon (Beef and egg bowl): Substitute 1/2 cup beef steak cut into strips for the chicken.
- Substitute green peas or snow peas for some or all of the scallions.
- If you don't have mirin, subsitute with 3 teaspoons of sugar.