Arni me Patates sto Fourno
(Greek roast lamb with potatoes)
4 to 6 servings
- Leg of lamb, bone-in -- 3 1/2 to 4 pounds
- Olive oil -- 1/2 cup
- Fresh rosemary or oregano, minced -- 2 tablespoons
- Salt -- 1 tablespoon
- Pepper -- 2 teaspoons
- Potatoes, peeled and quartered -- 2 pounds
- Lemon juice -- 1/3 cup
- Water -- 1 cup
- Trim the lamb of any excess fat, leaving a 1/2-inch layer to protect the meat from the heat of the oven. Mix the olive oil, rosemary or oregano and salt in a large dish and add the leg of lamb, turning it to cover all sides with the marinade. Let marinate, refrigerated, for at least 1 hour, or better yet overnight, turning occasionally. Remove the meat from the refrigerator 1 hour before roasting to allow it to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the lamb on a rack in roasting pan. Add the lemon juice to the marinade remaining in the dish and toss the potatoes with the marinade. Place the potatoes around the lamb in the roasting pan, pour in the 1 cup of water and place the pan in the oven. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan and stir the potatoes so they cook evenly. Return the pan to the oven and roast for another 30 to 45 minutes, or until the lamb reaches an internal temperature of 135°F for medium-rare or 155°F for medium-well.
- Remove the roast from the oven and set aside to rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Carve the lamb and serve the slices on a large platter with the roasted potatoes.
Arni sto Fourno Variations
- Arni me Anginares (Roast lamb with artichokes): A great variation that forms an entire meal in the pan. While the lamb and potatoes are roasting for the first 30 minutes, clean and trim the 8 to 10 artichokes. Remove all the outer leaves, trim their stems and, using a serrated knife, cut their top leaves off to just above the choke. Remove the chokes with a paring knife. Toss the cleaned artichokes with 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil and some salt and pepper. After the lamb has roasted for 30 minutes, add the artichokes to the pan, tossing them together with the potatoes. Return the pan to the oven and roast for another 30 to 45 minutes, or until the lamb is done to your liking.
- Add 10 to 15 whole cloves of garlic to the potatoes. Or cut deep pockets in the lamb with a paring knife and stuff them with the garlic.