Salpicón de Res
(Central American shredded beef salad)
4 to 6 servings
- Beef flank or skirt steak -- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds
- Onion, chopped -- 1
- Olive oil -- 1/3 cup
- Vinegar -- 1/4 cup
- Oregano -- 1 or 2 teaspoons
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Tomatoes, seeded and chopped -- 3
- Onion, thinly sliced -- 1
- Serrano chiles, chopped or minced -- 3
- Avocado, chopped -- 2
- Add the beef, onion and salt to a large pot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until meat is very tender. Remove the meat and reserve the stock for soup or other recipes. Shred the meat with your fingers when it is cool enough to handle.
- Add the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper to a large bowl and whisk together. Add the tomatoes, sliced onion and chiles and toss together. Set a side for a few minutes to let the vegetables marinate.
- Gently toss the shredded beef and avocados with the marinated vegetables and adjust seasoning. Spread on a serving platter and serve chilled or at room temperature with warm tortillas.
- Meats and Seafood: Salpicón can also be made with chicken (salpicón de pollo), seafood (salpicón de mariscos) or tuna (salpicón de atún).
- Other possible additions: Chopped lettuce, chopped cucumbers, olives, pickled jalapeños.
- Garnish with lime wedges, cilantro and crumbled queso fresco if you like.
- Substitute sour orange juice or lime juice for the vinegar for a more tropical flavor.