(Hungarian pinched noodles)
3 to 4 servings
- Flour -- 1 cup
- Salt -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Egg, beaten -- 1
- Water -- 2 to 4 tablespoons
- Butter or oil -- 1 tablespoon
- Mix the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Add the egg and 1 or 2 tablespoons of the water and mix together to make a stiff yet pliable dough. Add more water if necessary. Knead until smooth and set aside to rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Cut the rested dough into 6 equal portions and roll each portion into ropes the thickness of a finger. Lightly flour a baking sheet, and pinch little dime-sized pieces of dough from the ropes onto the baking sheet, spreading the pieces out evenly. Toss the pieces with a little flour to keep them from sticking.
- Bring a large quantity of salted water to a boil and add the dumplings. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Drain, toss with a little melted butter or oil and serve.