(Ecuadorian, Mexican pickled red onions)
Sometimes called cebollas en escabeche.
Makes about 1 quart
- Red onions, thinly sliced -- 2
- Limes, juice only -- 3 or 4
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Put the onions in a bowl and pour boiling water over them to cover. Let stand for 15 minutes, then drain and rinse the onions with cool water.
- Mix the onions with the lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before using. Will keep for 2 or 3 days.
Cebollas Encurtidas Variations
- Yucatecan Cebollas Encurtidas: Prepare the onions as in step one. Instead of 3 limes, mix the blanched onions with the juice of one orange and one lime, 1 cup cider vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 1 thinly sliced habanero pepper, 4 to 6 whole peppercorns, 3 or 4 whole allspice and 1 teaspoon oregano. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours to allow the flavors to meld. If you can, use homemade pineapple vinegar, or another fruity vinegar. Will keep for up to 3 weeks.