(Japanese miso pickle)
Image by Charles Haynes
6 to 8 servings
- White (shiro) miso -- 1 cup
- Mirin -- 1/4 cup
- Sugar -- 1 tablespoon
- Soy sauce -- 1 teaspoon
- Small pickling cucumbers -- 1 pound
- Mix together the miso, mirin, sugar and soy sauce in a large bowl. Add the cucumbers and stir them into the mixo mixture.
- Transfer the cucumbers and miso mixture to a container with an airtight lid. Make sure cucumbers are completely covered by miso mixture.
- Store in the refrigerator for at least a week or for up to 2 months, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pickles, rinse, slice and serve.
- This method of pickling also works with diakon, eggplant, cabbage and carrots, garlic. Parboil harder vegetables like carrots and garlic before pickling them.
- Try using red (aka) miso for a different appearance and flavor.
- Possible flavoring additions to miso paste: chili pepper, sesame seeds, minced ginger.