(Swedish pickled beets)
4 to 6 servings
- White vinegar -- 1/2 cup
- Water -- 1/2 cup
- Sugar -- 1/2 cup
- Salt -- 1 teaspoon
- Pepper -- pinch
- Beets, cooked, peeled and sliced into rounds -- 2 cups
- Bring the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper to a boil in a non-reactive saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes to completely dissolve sugar.
- Place the beets in a stainless steel or glass bowl. Pour hot vinegar mixture over the beets, cover and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Inlagda Rödbetor Variations
- The beets can be diced, julienned or cut into wedges to vary their presentation.
- Try using golden or chiogga beets for a different color and flavor.