(Filipino chicken and vegetables in tomato sauce)
4 to 6 servings
- Oil -- 3 tablespoons
- Chicken, cut into pieces -- 2 1/2 pounds
- Onion, chopped -- 1
- Bell peppers, chopped -- 2
- Garlic, minced -- 2 to 3 cloves
- Tomato sauce -- 1 cup
- Chicken stock -- 2 cups
- Fish sauce (patis) or soy sauce -- 2 tablespoons
- Boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks -- 1 pound
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Heat the oil over medium-high flame in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the chicken, a few pieces at a time and brown on all sides. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion and bell peppers and saute, stirring often, until cooked through but still crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and saute for another 1 or 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce and cook to reduce its volume a little, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients along with the reserved chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken and potatoes are both cooked through.
- Adjust seasoning and serve over steamed white rice.
- Substitute pork shoulder, cut into bite-sized chunks, for some or all of the chicken. Or add some pork liver for added flavor.
- Use sweet potatoes for some or all of the regular potatoes. Or try adding some chopped carrots or peas.