(Indian yogurt-marinated chicken kebabs)
4 to 6 servings
- Chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes -- 2 pounds
- Yogurt -- 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice -- 1/3 cup
- Garlic, minced -- 2 to 3 cloves
- Ginger, minced -- 1 tablespoon
- Ground cumin -- 1 teaspoon
- Ground cardamom -- 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper -- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon
- Salt -- to taste
- Oil -- 1/2 cup
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients except for the oil together, refrigerate and marinate for at least 1 hour and preferably overnight. The longer you marinate, the more flavorful and tender the chicken will be.
- Drain the excess marinade from the chicken pieces. Put the chicken chunks on skewers and brush the with oil.
- Grill the chicken skewers over an open flame or broil them on a rack in the oven. Turn frequently until done.
- Serve with sliced onions and peppers and lemon wedges.
Murgh Tikka Variations
- Three drops of yellow and one drop of red food coloring can be added to marinade to give a restaurant-like orange glow, but this is not necessary.
- Try making tikka kebabs with a firm-fleshed fish. You will not need to marinate as long, and the fish will also cook much faster.