Pollo Asado Colombiano
(Colombian roast chicken with cumin and cilantro)
For ease of preparation, this recipe calls for chicken already cut up into serving pieces, but feel free to marinade and roast your chicken whole.
4 to 6 servings
- Chicken, cut into portions -- 3 to 4 pounds
- Cilantro, chopped -- 1 bunch
- Scallions, finely chopped -- 3 or 4
- Garlic, finely chopped -- 2 or 3 cloves
- Lemons, juice only -- 2
- Lime, juice only -- 1
- Oil -- 2 or 3 tablespoons
- Paprika -- 1 tablespoon
- Ground cumin -- 1 tablespoon
- Oregano -- 2 teaspoons
- Thyme -- 1 teaspoon
- Salt and pepper -- to season
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Marinate for at least an hour, preferable overnight, turning the pieces occasionally to ensure all parts get a good bath in the marinade.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place the chicken pieces into a baking pan fitted with a rack. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and serve immediately with rice, arepas or roasted potatoes and a side of plátanos fritos and fresh, sliced avocado.
Pollo Asado Variations
- Use a finely chopped whole onion instead of the scallions if you like.
- Swap in the juice of a large orange for the lemon juice. Or substitute 1/2 cup of beer or white wine for the citrus juice altogether.
- Instead of oven baking, throw your marinated chicken pieces on the grill for extra-special smoky flavor.