(Indonesian chicken skewers with peanut sauce)
3 to 4 servings as entree; 6 to 8 servings as appetizer
- Chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, cut into long strips -- 1 pound
- Galangal or ginger, minced -- 2 teaspoons
- Brown sugar -- 2 teaspoons
- Soy sauce -- 1 tablespoon
- Coconut milk -- 2 tablespoons
- Red curry paste (optional) -- 1 teaspoon
- Salt -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil -- 1 tablespoon
- Sambal kacang (peanut sauce) -- 1 recipe
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients exept for the sambal kacang. Set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread the strips on bamboo skewers.
- Grill the chicken over hot coals until just cooked through. Serve with sambal kacang as a dipping sauce.
- Satay Daging: Substitute strips of beef or lamb for the chicken.