(Caribbean papaya preserves)
Image © iStockphoto
Makes about 1 1/2 pints
- Papaya, peeled, seeded and chopped -- 1 pound
- Sugar -- 1 pound
- Water -- 1 cup
- Lime juice -- 3 tablespoons
- Gingerroot, minced -- 1 tablespoon
- Allspice berries -- 2 or 3
- Salt -- pinch
- Pulse half the papaya in a food processor or blender until it is in small chunks. Puree the remaining papaya.
- In a large saucepan, stir together the papaya and the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Spoon into sterilized half-pint jars, seal and refrigerate or process in a boiling water bath.
Pawpaw Chutney Variations
- Substitute mango or pineapple for half of the papaya.
- Replace the water with 1 1/4 cups rum.