(Hawaiian-American pasta salad side dish)
4 to 6 servings
- Macaroni pasta -- 1 pound
- Cider or white vinegar -- 1/2 cup
- Mayonnaise -- 2 cups
- Milk -- 2 cups
- Sugar -- 2 tablespoons
- Scallions -- 3 or 4
- Carrot, grated -- 2
- Celery, chopped -- 2 stalks
- Peas (optional) -- 1 cup
- Cook the macaroni in boiling, salted water until very soft. Drain well and add to a large mixing bowl. Stir the vinegar into the pasta while it is still hot. Set aside to cool.
- In another bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, 1 cup of the milk and sugar until smooth. Stir this mixture into the cooling pasta. Stir in enough of the remaining milk to make a creamy sauce that coats the pasta well.
- Stir in the scallions, carrot and celery, and then refrigerate until well chilled.
- Give the salad a good stir and serve as a side dish for any Hawaiian meal.
Hawaiian-style Macaroni Salad Variations
- Stir in 1 cup of cooked peas along with the other vegetables.