Yum Pla Muk
(Thai spicy squid salad)
4 to 6 servings
- Squid, cleaned, bodies cut in 1/4-inch rounds -- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds
- Limes, juice only -- 2
- Fish sauce -- 2 tablespoons
- Garlic, minced -- 2-3 cloves
- Red Thai or serrano chile peppers, minced -- 2-4
- Lemongrass, white part only, minced -- 1 stalk
- Shallots or scallions, minced -- 1-2
- Galangal or ginger, peeled and minced -- 2 (1/4-inch) slices
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a slow simmer. Add the squid and simmer, stirring, for about 1 to 2 minutes. Drain immediately in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the squid and toss to coat.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Adjust seasoning and serve cold or at room temperature.
Yum Pla Muk Variations
- The dressing ingredients may be pureed in a food processor or blender for better results. Alternatively, use a large mortar and pestle, traditional for the task in Thailand.
- Add 1 tablespoon of chile sambal for more color and spice.
- Shred 1/2 bunch Thai basil and stir into the salad.