(Indian cilantro chutney)
Dhanya chatni is perhaps the most popular of all Indian chutneys. The bright, fresh flavor of the cilantro and citrus bite of the lemon juice make this condiment a perfect match with many Indian dishes and curries. Make sure you chop the cilantro stems very finely or they will leave strings in your chutney.
Cilantro chutney also makes an excellent marinade for chicken or pork.
Makes about 1 cup
- Cilantro, stems and all, chopped finely --1 bunch
- Onion, chopped -- 1
- Hot chile peppers, minced -- 1 or 2
- Salt -- 2 teaspoons
- Garam masala (optional) -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper -- pinch
- Lemon juice -- 1/4 cup
- Add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor and pulse until almost pureed, but still somewhat chunky.
- Adjust seasoning and chill before serving.