(Georgian walnut, cilantro and garlic sauce)
Makes about 2 cups
- Walnuts, toasted -- 1 cup
- Garlic, chopped -- 3 or 4 cloves
- Cilantro, chopped -- 1/2 bunch
- Ground coriander -- 1 teaspoon
- Salt -- big pinch
- Olive oil -- 3 tablespoons
- Lemon juice or white wine vinegar -- 2 tablespoons
- Chicken stock -- 1/2 cup
- Add all of the ingredients except for the chicken stock to the bowl of a mortar or blender and process until smooth
- Remove the puree to a small saucepan and add enough chicken stock to pour a pourable sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high flame, and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve at room temperature.
- Vegetarian garo: Use a good vegetable stock or just plain water instead of the chicken stock.
- Other herbs and spices: Add a couple sprigs of parsley, tarragon, mint or basil along with the cilantro. Include a 1/2 teaspoon of ground fenugreek or turmeric.