(Indian tamarind sauce)
Makes about 2 1/2 cups
- Tamarind pulp -- 2 tablespoons
- Warm water -- 1 cup
- Brown sugar -- 1/2 cup
- Raisins -- 1/4 cup
- Dates -- 1/4 cup
- Ground cumin --1 1/2 teaspoons
- Ground ginger -- 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala (optional) -- 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper -- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt -- to taste
- Soak the tamarind pulp in the warm water for about 15 minutes to soften it up. Using the back of a fork, mash it into the water to dissolve the pulp. Strain through a sieve, discarding the fibers and seeds.
- Add the tamarind water with the remaining of ingredients and puree in a blender. Adjust seasoning and serve.
- Use all raisins or all dates if you like. Golden raisins, or sultanas, work very well.