(Salvadoran tomato sauce)
Makes about 2 cups
- Olive oil -- 3 tablespoons
- Onion, chopped -- 1/4 cup
- Garlic, chopped -- 1 clove
- Serrano or jalapeño chile pepper, chopped -- 1
- Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped -- 2 cups
- Dried oregano -- 2 teaspoons
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Cilantro (optional), chopped -- 1/4 cup
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium flame. Add the onion, garlic and chile and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the tomatoes and oregano and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool a bit.
- Puree the tomato sauce in a blender until smooth, adding a little water if needed. Add salt and pepper to taste, stir in cilantro if using and serve.
Salsa Roja Variations
- Substitute chopped parsley for the cilantro if you like.