South Carolina Barbecue Sauce
(American Southern mustard-based grilling sauce)
As hinted at by the mustard, this sauce has its origin in German immigrants to the area.
Makes about 2 cups
- Yellow mustard -- 3/4 cup
- Vinegar -- 3/4 cup
- Sugar -- 1/2 cup
- Butter -- 2 tablespoons
- Hot pepper sauce -- a few dashes
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to marry and mellow.
- Stir the barbecue sauce into pulled roast pork to season to your taste. Pass extra at the table.
South Carolina BBQ Sauce Variations
- Other things to stir in for flavor: onion powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce.