(Middle Eastern spice blend)
Makes about 1/2 cup
- Ground sumac berries (see notes) -- 1/4 cup
- Toasted sesame seeds -- 1/4 cup
- Dried thyme -- 2 tablespoons
- Dried oregano -- 2 tablespoons
- Salt -- 2 teaspoons
- Mix all together and store well-sealed in a cool, dark place.
- Individual zaatar recipes vary widely, especially from region to region. Some common additions include coriander, cumin, fennel, marjoram and caraway.
- Ground sumac can be found at most Middle Eastern markets.
- As with many Arabic words, zaatar has a variety of Romanized spellings, including za'atar, za'tar, zatar, zatr, zahatar and satar.