(Israeli Jewish carrots braised with honey)
There are endless variations on the basic tzimmes recipe. Some mix carrots and sweet potatoes. Others add dried fruits. Still others braise the carrots with a nice brisket.
4 to 6 servings
- Carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds -- 2 pounds
- Water -- to cover
- Honey -- 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice -- 1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon (optional) -- 1 teaspoon
- Salt -- to taste
- Butter -- 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Add the carrots, water, honey, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt to a large saucepan and stir together.
- Set the saucepan over medium-high flame and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and increase heat to medium-high. Boil to cook down the liquid until it forms a glaze on the carrots. Stir in the butter, adjust seasoning and serve.
- Meat tzimmes: Preheat oven to 325°F. Brown a 2 to 3 pound brisket in a pot or pan big enough to hold it over medium-high flame in a few tablespoons of oil. Set the brisket aside and saute a chopped onion in the same pot or pan until translucent and cooked through. Add the sauteed onion to the bottom of a casserole dish or roasting pan, top them with the brisket and surround the meat with 1 pound of chopped carrots and 1 pound of peeled sweet or regular potatoes cut into chunks. Mix 3 cups of water, the honey, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt and some pepper together and pour over the brisket and carrots. Cover and bake without stirring until the meat is tender, 2 to 3 hours. Let rest, covered loosely for 15 to 20 minutes before service. Slice the brisket and serve with the vegetables and pan juices.
- Tzimmes with potatoes: Substitute half of the carrots with 1 pound of peeled sweet or regular potatoes, cut into chunks.
- Balkan-style tzimmes: Make a simple dried fruit compote sweetened with honey.
- Other tzimmes variations: Adjust the amount of honey to suit your taste. Add 1/2 cup of raisins, currants or prunes. Substitute orange juice for some of the water if you like.